Annual Term Life Insurance Review & Open EnrollmentOct 17, 2019, 8:21 AM By MOSERS
We’re half away through the 2020 Annual Life Insurance Review and Special Open Enrollment period. So far, we’ve had 1,125 members who already had Optional Life Insurance increase their coverage and 325 members, who were not previously covered, enroll in Optional Life for the first time. We will be sending e-mails reminding our eligible members of this opportunity, which ends on October 31st. Please encourage your employees to take advantage of this special opportunity to help provide financial security to their loved ones if something happens to them. Don’t miss out!
Use the Right FormsOct 17, 2019, 8:19 AM By MOSERS
The purpose of the Notification of Change form is to notify MOSERS of any updates to a member’s demographic information, such as name, marital status, mailing address, email address, phone number, etc. Please do NOT report any service-related changes on the Notification of Change form.
You should report service-related changes, such as a termination or a leave of absence, on the appropriate service-related form. The fastest, most effective way to submit this information is through the Employer Login using the Transfer of Employment form, Termination of Employment form, Application to Correct Service, or the Leave/Back to Work form.
Your assistance will help ensure our members' records are accurate and they get the benefits they have earned.
See the Updated Materials article below for more information about finding and submitting forms.
2019 BU SummaryOct 17, 2019, 8:18 AM By MOSERS
We had 225 attendees at the 2019 Benefits U Conference! We streamlined the agenda and had 18 different speakers share their knowledge and expertise throughout the day. Thank you to everyone who was able to attend, to the speakers, moderators, and to all the staff who worked behind the scenes to make this year’s conference such a success! Special thanks to our keynote speaker, Coach Gary Pinkel, and the benefit providers who shared the day as well.
While we did receive some strong feedback regarding the venue and lunch, based on the overall feedback provided regarding content, more than 81% took away something helpful from the day and find Benefits U valuable to attend.
Comments from attendees:
- Very informative. I feel this is an excellent conference for HR representatives.
- Even though I have been working in Personnel for almost 30 years, I still learn things because there are always updates and changes. It is very beneficial in that regard and to keep current on our benefits.
- Very beneficial for changes and what is happening in the near future.
- It is so much easier to explain to our employees the benefits, and upcoming changes in benefits when we have heard it and learned it at the conference.
- It is always great to hear of the up and coming changes or plans. The professional development sessions are a great to rejuvenate excitement and motivation.
- I always enjoy coming to these events. They are very informative. It’s also nice to meet other HR staff.
- Good conference. Gary Pinkel did a great job. I feel our administration should hear him speak.
- I really enjoy the Benefits U Conferences, lots of great information is gained/shared. I thought it was great getting to hear Gary Pinkel speak. Best keynote speaker ever in my opinion.
We will hold the next Benefits U Conference in 2021 and will provide updates through HR Updates…stay tuned!
You’ve Got Mail – Coming soonOct 17, 2019, 8:13 AM By MOSERS
We will soon be sending you some posters:
- 2020 Ready to Retire − PreRetirement Planning Seminars for MSEP/MSEP 2000 Members who are within 5 Years of Retirement Eligibility
- 2020 Ready to Retire − PreRetirement Planning for MSEP 2011 Members who are within 5 Years of Retirement Eligibility, which includes in-person seminars and online webinars
PLEASE make sure that we have good contact information for your agency and that your mailing address is up to date with us. If you have any doubt, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know to send posters to you.
Once you get them, please post and encourage eligible employees to sign up early. Thanks!
Please Note: Seminars for the remainder of the year are full. Encourage employees to let us know if they or their guest are registered to attend but can’t make it! Doing so allows us to offer a seat to people on the waiting list.
Updated Materials - October 2019Oct 16, 2019, 2:52 PM By MOSERS
At the BU Conference on September 5, Victoria Hillstrom suggested that we periodically provide a list of recently updated MOSERS publications to HR staff. We thought it was a great idea and will include a list in HR Updates going forward. Thanks for the helpful suggestion, Victoria!
- RetireeNews - 2019 Summer-Fall Newsletter Sept 2019
- Employer Contribution Rate infographic Sept 2019
- MOSERS Comparison Calculator Oct 2019
- Total Compensation Calculator Oct 2019
- Understanding MOSERS’ Investment Approach infographic Oct 2019
Looking for a MOSERS publication or form? With 90 items listed there, chances are you can find what you need in our online Library. For example, you can find all of the following and more:
- BackDROP for General State Employees brochure (MSEP & MSEP 2000)
- Benefit Providers table
- General Employees' Retirement Handbook (MSEP & MSEP 2000)
- Travel Assistance Flyer and Wallet Card
If you don’t want to scroll through all 90 items, you can quickly narrow your search by selecting a Category (such as “life insurance”) and start typing in the Search field. Or you can skip the Category and do directly to the Search field.
If you are looking for a form but don’t know the name, you can narrow your search by selecting “Forms” from the Category drop-down menu. Not all forms are available on our public website.
Submitting a form online is the fastest, most efficient way to process a request. If you are assisting an employee and submitting a form online isn’t possible or you can’t find the form you are looking for in our online library, the employee can contact a MOSERS benefit counselor at (800) 827-1063 or (573) 632-6100. We will be happy to send a personalized form that is barcoded and pre-populated with the employee’s demographic information to the employee. Next to forms submitted through myMOSERS, the personalized forms are the most efficient.
Some examples of forms you that you won’t find on our website are the Retirement Application and the Election Form. This is by design because we customize them for each member. Employees should log in to myMOSERS and click on Retire Online, or contact us to request a personalized version of these forms.
Word on the Street - State TaxesOct 16, 2019, 2:35 PM By MOSERS
True or False – When you retire, your MOSERS pension benefits may be exempt from state taxes?
True! The total public pension exemption is limited to the maximum Social Security benefit of each spouse. In order to be eligible for the full deduction, your Missouri adjusted gross income must fall within certain income limitations. If your income exceeds the limitation, you may qualify for a partial exemption.
- Up to $85,000 - Single, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widow(er)
- Up to $100,000 -Married, filing jointly
- Up to $85 - Married, filing separately
For more information about taxes, please contact the Missouri Department of Revenue or go to: www.dor.mo.gov/personal/ptc/pension.php.
HR Update Subscription
Sign up to receive benefit news straight to your inbox