Basic Member Coverage
- MOSERS provides group term life insurance through Standard Insurance Company (The Standard) to most members. (If you are an employee of the Department of Conservation or a university, other than Lincoln University, contact your HR office for information about your life insurance benefits.)
- There is no cost to you for basic coverage.
- Coverage is equal to one times your annual salary.
As part of your basic member coverage, you and your family are automatically eligible for Travel Assistance. This includes help with trip planning, lost travel documents, and emergency medical or legal resources while you are away from home. Call the number on the Travel Assistance Wallet Card to access these services.
Life Services Toolkit
View the Life Services Toolkit by entering the username "assurance" for information and tools on estate and financial planning and funeral arrangements. The toolkit includes information and a variety of resources for you and your family including resources for grief support and legal services in the event of your death.
If you are terminally ill with a life expectancy of less than 12 months, you may be eligible to receive life insurance benefits (Accelerated Benefits) prior to your death provided you meet certain conditions. For more information please refer to page 27 of the Basic & Optional Life Insurance Handbook.
Optional Member & Dependent Coverage
If you choose, you may purchase additional life insurance coverage for yourself and your dependents.
- You must enroll to purchase optional life insurance coverage and may be asked to submit evidence of insurability.
- Use the Optional Life Insurance Calculator to determine your monthly premium.
- Coverage is based on a flat amount in $10,000 increments and cannot exceed six times your salary (rounded up to the nearest $10,000 increment) or $800,000.
- A family status change allows you to apply to increase your coverage within 31 days of an eligible life event without proving insurability.
- MOSERS offers an Annual Life Insurance Review Period every October for member coverage. The review period gives eligible members the chance to increase their own optional coverage in increments of $10,000 without completing additional medical history forms. We will notify you each September if you are eligible.
If you have optional life coverage on yourself, you may purchase coverage for your spouse and eligible children.
- You must enroll to purchase additional insurance coverage for your spouse.
- Use the Optional Life Insurance Calculator to determine your spouse’s monthly premium.
- You must enroll to purchase insurance coverage for your child(ren).
- Coverage is $10,000 per eligible child.
- Your cost for child coverage is a flat $2 for your eligible child(ren), regardless of the number of children.
- We do not require evidence of insurability for eligible children.
- As a new employee, you may enroll yourself, and your dependents, through SEBES within 31 days of employment.
- Log in to myMOSERS and complete the Enrollment/Change-Optional Life Insurance form to add:
- coverage if you did not enroll through SEBES
- additional coverage for yourself after a family status change
- or increase coverage for your spouse
- coverage for a child
The detailed provisions of your life insurance benefits, including enrollment, can be found in the Basic and Optional Life Insurance Handbook.
- Basic & Optional Life Insurance Handbook
- Benefit Providers
- Continued Dependent Life Insurance for a Disabled Child
- Designation of Life Insurance Beneficiaries
- Group Life Portability Insurance Application
- Life Insurance Rates
- Life Services Toolkit flyer
- Life Services Toolkit website (Username "assurance")
- Travel Assistance Service Overview
- Travel Assistance Flyer and Wallet Card
Standard's Medical History Statement
This form is to be used when evidence of insurability is required. Choose either the online or the printable PDF option:
By completing your Medical History Statement online, determinations are made much faster, if not automatically. Please allow between 10 to 30 minutes to fill out the application - depending on your health history.
Print & Mail Application
You may choose to print The Standard's Medical History Statement and mail it to The Standard. The Group Number for the form is 604201. Note that if you submit an application by paper, it may take up to 90 days to get a decision.