If you face a lengthy illness or suffer from an accident that leaves you unable to work, you have resources. Long-term disability (LTD) insurance provides partial income replacement if you are unable to work for an extended period. This benefit also includes a program that may assist in making workplace changes so you can avoid going or staying on LTD.
What You Need to Know
- MOSERS provides long-term disability (LTD) insurance through Standard Insurance Company (The Standard) to most members.
- There is no cost to you for LTD insurance. Your employer pays your premiums as long as you are an active employee.
- LTD benefits can replace up to 60% of your pre-disability earnings less any deductible income.
- Your LTD benefit is taxable.
- Your spouse or child(ren) may qualify for survivor benefits if you die while receiving LTD benefits.
- The ability to perform your work duties can be difficult if you have a medical condition. The Workplace Possibilities Program provides accommodations or services as an alternative to LTD. Contact your HR representative for more information.
- Read our Long-Term Disability Insurance Handbook for important benefit details including the cost of applying for benefits and deadlines for filing your paperwork.
- Complete the forms included in the Long-Term Disability Benefits Claim Packet and submit them to The Standard as soon as possible after becoming disabled.
- The Standard will review your claim once they receive all the required information and will inform you in writing of the outcome. This process may take anywhere from one week to four months.
LTD Benefit Payments
Once approved, your LTD benefit payments will begin:
- Once the 90-day benefit waiting period has ended or
- When your sick leave benefits expire (whichever is later).
LTD benefit payments will stop when any of the following happen:
- You are no longer disabled
- You begin receiving early (reduced) retirement benefits
- You are eligible to receive normal (unreduced) retirement benefits
- You begin receiving benefits under any other group long-term disability policy
- You return to full-time active employment
- You are able to work, but do not accept available employment
- You die