Hearing Rumors? Not sure your co-worker has it right?

Rumor Central has the answers! Submit your question or just browse our blog to separate facts from fiction.

Subscribe to Rumor Central

Subscribe to receive a monthly email that includes answers to recent Rumor Central questions.

Log in to myMOSERS. Click on Personal Information, then on Email Options. Check the box next to Rumor Central

  • The COLA for Retirees

    Mar 10, 2023, 1:55 PM By MOSERS
    Are we retirees getting a cost of living increase this year? 

    Retirees will receive their first COLA on the anniversary month of their retirement. The amount of the COLA for the calendar year is calculated each year in January. The COLA this year is 5%.

    COLAs are payable on the anniversary of your retirement date except for:

    • Retirees who converted from MSEP to MSEP 2000 during the conversion window in 2000 will have COLAs payable in July.
    • Retirees who elected a BackDROP will have COLAs payable on the anniversary of their BackDROP date.
    • Retirees who were terminated-vested members of the MSEP 2011 will receive their first COLA on the second anniversary of their retirement (rather than the first anniversary).

    We will send you a notice, either in the mail or in your MOSERS Document Express online mailbox, during the month when you get your COLA.

    Please see the COLA page on our website for additional information.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • BackDROP Options

    Mar 7, 2023, 3:40 PM By MOSERS

    Hi Folks, Just wondering if a person earns Backdrop time, if they can cash out some of their Backdrop and roll over the rest into Deferred Comp, CD"s etc? Thank you.

    Yes, if you are eligible for and elect BackDROP, you have three options for your BackDROP lump-sum payment:

    • Cash Option: This is either one lump-sum payment at retirement or three annual installments. From any amounts paid in cash, we will deduct 20% for federal income tax (as required by the IRS) and any Missouri state income tax withholding you choose. You will be responsible for any IRS early withdrawal penalties that may apply.
    • Rollover Option: We will send your tax-deferred distribution directly to a qualified employer plan, such as Mo Deferred Comp. 
    • Combination Cash & Rollover Option: You can take a portion of the lump sum in cash (less 20% for federal income tax, as required by the IRS, and any Missouri state income tax you choose to have withheld) and roll the rest over to a qualified employer plan. You will be responsible for any IRS early withdrawal penalties that may apply.  

    MO Deferred Comp is a qualified employer plan and you may be able to roll over your funds to them. Before you make any decisions, we recommend that you read the Special Tax Notice to ensure you understand the tax implications of your choice. We also encourage you to consult a tax professional. Read Thinking About the BackDROP? for more information.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Pay Raise and the COLA

    Mar 3, 2023, 4:56 PM By MOSERS

    will we get the gov.parson wage increase for state employees if we are in retirement (retired)

    On Monday, February 27, 2023, Governor, Mike Parson signed supplemental spending bill, HB 14. This bill will implement a cost-of-living adjustment for all active state employees, but it does not apply to retirees. However, all retired general state employees will receive a 5% COLA in 2023.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • The BackDROP Period

    Feb 21, 2023, 11:37 AM By MOSERS
    If an employee is eligible to retire and stays more than 5 years past normal retirement eligibility ( I will use 10 years as an example), does the 5 year Backdrop period start from the time of normal retirement eligibility or does it start 5 years prior to whenever the employee actually retires? If so, which time period is used to calculate the FAP at retirement?

    In the example you gave and assuming the employee elected a 5-year BackDROP, the BackDROP period would be the 5 years prior to when they actually retire.

    The BackDROP period is the period of time between the employee’s BackDROP date (the day their BackDROP period begins) and their actual retirement date. The maximum BackDROP period is five years. The BackDROP date can move depending on when the employee actually retires and the BackDROP period they elect at retirement.

    For example:

    If the employee is initially eligible to retire 3/1/2023, but decides to work to 10 more years, retires 3/1/2033, and elects a 5-year BackDROP, their BackDROP period would start 3/1/2028.

    If they elect a BackDROP, we will calculate their monthly benefit using their final average pay (FAP) and credited service as of their BackDROP date. We would look at the employee’s entire pay history prior to the BackDROP period and find the highest 36-consecutive months of pay. We will not include any service credit or pay (including pay increases, overtime, etc.) earned during the BackDROP period to calculate their monthly pension payment.

    See the BackDROP page on our website for more information.

    Note: BackDROP is available only to general state employees (including university employees) in MSEP and MSEP 2000. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Public Pension Exemption

    Feb 21, 2023, 7:55 AM By MOSERS
    Good morning. How exactly does the public pension exemption work? Do I have to sign up for that or does someone automatically know that I qualify due to the amount I make? I’m confused on how this works. Thanks for any help you can give me.

    Your MOSERS pension benefit is subject to normal federal taxes. It is also subject to normal Missouri state income taxes if you are a resident of Missouri. However, because you are a Missouri resident, you may qualify for the Public Pension Exemption as it relates to Missouri state taxes.

    In order to be eligible for the full deduction, your Missouri adjusted gross income must fall within certain income limitations. These limitations are not decided by MOSERS, you may contact the Missouri Department of Revenue to see if you qualify or ask your tax professional. If your income exceeds the limitation, you may qualify for a partial exemption. Visit the Missouri Department of Revenue's Public Pension Exemption page or read our Missouri Public Pension Exemption flyer for more information.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • How to change direct deposit account

    Feb 9, 2023, 9:55 AM By MOSERS
    How do I change my direct deposit account to a different account?

    To update your direct deposit information, just log in to myMOSERS. Once logged in, click Forms, then select Direct Deposit. From there you can begin to fill out and complete the Direct Deposit Authorization form online or you can complete the paper Direct Deposit Authorization form and mail it to MOSERS.

    If you need assistance, feel free to contact a MOSERS benefit counselor at (800) 827-1063 or (573) 632-6100.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Annual Benefit Statements

    Feb 8, 2023, 7:56 AM By MOSERS

    When will the 2022 Annual Benefit Statements be available?

    We send Annual Benefit Statements in March to all active members. You can access last year’s statement by logging in to myMOSERS, clicking on Online Documents, and selecting Document Express. It is available to print or save as a PDF. Once all 2023 statements are sent, we will send you an email and you will be able to access this year’s statement by logging in to myMOSERS. If you have opted to receive paper notifications, we will mail your statement to you. Please be sure your email address and mailing address is up to date with us!

    Retirees get their Annual Benefit Statement each year on the anniversary of their retirement date or BackDROP date. We send benefit statements to elected officials and members on LTD in July, and we send statements to vested former state employees once every 5 years. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • How to Submit Tax Withholding Forms

    Feb 7, 2023, 9:48 AM By MOSERS
    I wanted to change my tax withholding and after talking to the operator at Mosers, I understand I can't complete the form I used to for a change in the amount. I got the Authorization completed online and printed off to sign, but was unable to fill out the W-4P online so I printed and now am completing by hand. I guess I will have to mail the forms; didn't see instructions that I could email them to you online. And of course since I am needing to complete by hand the W-4P I am unable to email

    You are correct, there is a new form, which is required by the IRS as of January 1, 2023, IF you want to make any changes to your tax withholdings. (If you don’t want to make changes, no action is required.) Once you have completed both the Tax Withholding Authorization and the IRS W4-P forms and you have signed and dated them, you can return them to us by:

    1. Faxing them to (573) 632-6103,
    2. Scanning them and sending them as an attachment via email to,
    3. Submitting them using the Document Upload feature after you have logged in to myMOSERS
    4. Depositing them in the drop box outside of our office or bringing them in to the receptionist, or
    5. Mailing them to us at MOSERS, PO Box 209, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0209
    Print Friendly and PDF
  • 1099-R Forms Have Been Mailed!

    Jan 31, 2023, 4:04 PM By MOSERS

    Have end of year 1099's been mailed?

    Yes, 1099-R forms have been mailed! For immediate access to your 1099-R, or if you find you need a replacement copy of it, log in to myMOSERS. You will find your 1099-R under Personal Information and available for you to print.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Life Insurance in Retirement

    Jan 26, 2023, 3:33 PM By MOSERS

    How much money would $60,000 life insurance cost after you retire?

    The cost of life insurance coverage through MOSERS depends on your age. Please use the Optional Life Insurance Calculator to determine what your monthly premium will be in retirement. Please keep in mind the following regarding life insurance in retirement:

    • You may retain up to $60,000 in coverage if you are a member of MSEP.
    • You may retain all of your optional coverage until age 62 if you are a general state employee who retired under the “Rule of 80” (MSEP 2000) or the “Rule of 90” (MSEP 2011). At age 62, your coverage will automatically reduce to a maximum of $60,000.
    • To keep your optional coverage, you must submit the Retain/Change Optional Life Insurance form (available in  myMOSERS). Use the same form to reduce or terminate your coverage at any time.
    • Please note that you have 60 days from your retirement date to port or convert (continue) any remaining optional life insurance through The Standard.
    • You cannot increase your coverage after retirement.
    Print Friendly and PDF




We strive to provide the most accurate information possible in our answers to Rumor Central questions. However, occasionally, laws, policies or provisions change and individual circumstances may vary. Please contact a MOSERS benefit counselor or see the handbooks in our website Library for more detailed information. If there is any difference between the information provided in this blog or on the MOSERS website and the law or policies that govern MOSERS, the law and policies will prevail. See our Privacy, Security & Legal Notices for more information.