Hearing Rumors? Not sure your co-worker has it right?

Rumor Central has the answers! Submit your question or just browse our blog to separate facts from fiction.

  • Medical Premiums & MOSERS Retirement Benefit Check

    Jul 5, 2018, 2:49 PM By MOSERS

    My husband and I both retired in our late 50's and still have 5 years to go before we reach medicare age. Hopefully this won't happen, but if insurance keeps going up what would happen if the amount of our insurance exceeds the amount of my benefit check? Both of our premiums are taken out of my check. I'm worried about the increasing cost. As we don't want to lose the insurance would we be able to pay the amount not covered by my benefit check directly to MOSERS?

    Note: MOSERS administers retirement, life insurance and long-term disability insurance benefits. For most state employees, health care is administered by Missouri Consolidated Health Care Plan (MCHCP). They provided us with a response for this question below.

    MCHCP will not deduct partial premiums from a retirement benefit check. If the MCHCP premium is more than the retiree’s benefit check amount, then MCHCP will automatically set up the member on direct bill payment. MCHCP will mail a billing statement to the retiree/member showing the premiums due and the date payment is due. Members on direct bill have other payment opportunities including automatic (ACH) withdrawal from a bank account or online bill pay. The automatic withdrawal authorization form is available can be found on the MCHCP website:

    Also, members on direct bill may choose to pay premiums online through their myMCHCP account using a debit or credit card. Please note the bank which administers the online payment process for MCHCP charges a service fee when a member uses this payment option.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Pay Raises

    Jul 5, 2018, 8:52 AM By MOSERS

    are we possibly getting a raise in January

    If you are asking about a pay raise for active state employees (versus a cost-of-living adjustment for MOSERS retirees), please understand that MOSERS is not involved in any decision making related to state employee pay.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Last Day of Work

    Jun 29, 2018, 8:47 AM By MOSERS

    I was told: When retiring. You MUST work your last day before retirement. I was told that you cannot use comp or vacation time on your last working day.

    Just to clarify—your last day at work is your “termination date”. Your “retirement date,” when it comes to getting your benefits from MOSERS, is the date you put on your Retirement Application and it will be the first day of the month in which you start receiving retirement benefit payments. For example, if a member’s last day at work is January 31, their retirement date could be February 1.

    Your retirement date must be the first day of the month. You will need to contact your Human Resources representative regarding if you need to be present on your last day of work.

    Annual leave has no effect on your MOSERS benefit. Please contact your agency’s human resources representative to determine your agency's procedure for using annual leave prior to retirement.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • MSEP 2000 Retirement Eligibility

    Jun 12, 2018, 8:14 AM By MOSERS

    i started working for the state at the age of 51 I started in dec 2010 I want to retire at the age of 62 but I won't have 80 and out, will I still get my state check even if I don't have 80 and out?

    Yes, you may be eligible for retirement at age 62 even if your age and service don’t add up to 80. The Rule of 80 (also known as “80 & Out”) is not the only way to meet retirement eligibility. If you first worked in a MOSERS benefit-eligible position in 2010, you are a member of the MSEP 2000. The other way to meet normal (unreduced) retirement eligibility in the MSEP 2000 is to be at least age 62 with at least 5 years of service. Visit our Ready to Retire page to learn about the 2-step retirement process, which you must complete to begin receiving monthly retirement payments.

    For more information:

    • See What’s My Plan? (bottom of the MOSERS website homepage) with information about plan membership, retirement eligibility requirements, and other plan provisions.
    • You can contact a MOSERS benefit counselor to discuss your specific situation and they can provide you with a retirement benefit estimate.
    • When you are within 5 years of retirement eligibility, it is helpful to attend a free Ready to Retire/PreRetirement Seminar.
    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Retirement Due Dates

    Jun 6, 2018, 8:23 AM By MOSERS

    I am planning to retire the end of this year, with my retirement date of 1/1/19. How far in advance do I need to submit my retirement forms?

    You can submit your retirement application as early as 4 months (120 days) prior to your retirement date. However, there are specific due dates required—for example, if your retirement date is January 1, your Retirement Application is due no later than November 30 and the Retirement Election Form is due no later than December 31st.

    The Ready to Retire page on our website is a one-stop shop for all of our retirement resources. We encourage you to go to our website, log in to your Member Homepage, and retire online as soon as you have gathered information and made your decisions. Before your benefit payments can begin, you must complete the 2-step retirement process. This process, which involves your submission of several important forms, allows MOSERS to provide you with relevant, individualized information needed to make informed decisions regarding your future benefit payment. Use the Retirement Guide to assist you. This summary of the retirement process includes a detailed explanation of each form as well as a Smart Start Checklist of information you should have readily available when you apply. The Retire Online video also has helpful tips to lead you through the process.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Merit System & Reemployment

    Jun 4, 2018, 2:18 PM By MOSERS

    Since the Merit system has been removed (by the newly signed law), does this mean that someone who retired from a Merit job could go back to work for the State and still collect their pension?

    No. SB 1007, which had the “merit system” language does not contain any changes to any MOSERS benefit provisions. SB 1007 modifies and repeals several provisions relating to the State Personnel Law (SPL), commonly referred to as the Merit system.

    As a general state employee, your MOSERS retirement benefit will stop if you retire (or are already retired) and later return to work in a benefit-eligible position covered by MOSERS or MPERS (the MoDot & Patrol Employees’ Retirement System).

    Your employer determines if the position is benefit-eligible. MOSERS administers pension benefits for most state agencies and regional state universities. See our website for a complete list of employers covered by MOSERS. If you have a question about whether or not accepting a position with the state will affect your MOSERS retirement benefit, we advise you to check with your potential employer.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Using Leave After Applying for Retirement

    Jun 1, 2018, 3:30 PM By MOSERS

    Once you submit retirement papers with a date for retirement are you allowed to take any annual or sick time?

    Yes. Check with your agency’s human resources office about your specific guidelines for annual and sick leave accrual and usage before retirement. Please be aware that MOSERS converts each block of 168 hours of unused sick leave into a month of service credit to be used in your retirement benefit calculation. So, any usage of sick leave near your retirement date may affect previous benefit estimates you have received. Annual leave has no effect on your MOSERS benefit.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Merit System Bill

    Jun 1, 2018, 2:17 PM By MOSERS

    How does, if at all, the removal of the Merit program affect my retirement? 

    SB 1007 does not contain any changes to any MOSERS benefit provisions so it should have no impact on your retirement. It modifies and repeals several provisions relating to the State Personnel Law (SPL), commonly referred to as the Merit system. It is our understanding that it was signed into law today.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • MSEP 2011 Legislative Changes from 2017

    May 31, 2018, 11:33 AM By MOSERS

    Correction Officers have been hearing that the State of Missiouri Retirement System is bringing back the "80 and out" rule or 80/80 and the Employee is vested after 5 years of service?

    For members of MSEP 2011 who are actively employed on or after 1/1/2018, yes, the vesting requirement did change to 5 years, effective 1/1/2018. This change was part of Senate Bill 62, which was passed during the 2017 legislative session. The changes were summarized on our legislative page.

    However, requirements for retirement eligibility were not changed. Members of MSEP 2011 reach normal retirement eligibility when they have at least 5 years of service and are age 67 or under the “Rule of 90”. Under the “Rule of 90”, they must be at least age 55 and their age plus years of service equal 90 or more. For example, if someone is age 60 and has 30 years of service, they would meet the Rule of 90.

    Not sure if you are in MSEP, MSEP 2000, or MSEP 2011? See What’s My Plan? (bottom of the MOSERS website homepage) with information about plan membership, retirement eligibility requirements, and other plan provisions.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Credited Service for Army Reserve?

    May 31, 2018, 11:28 AM By MOSERS

    I just have a question regarding having Served in the Army Reserve. Can a state employee receive any credit for having served as a Reservist? 

    Yes, it is possible, depending on when your military service was performed relative to your state employment. There are provisions that allow you to 1.) purchase or 2.) receive automatic credit at no cost* for your eligible active-duty military service. Short duration active-duty military service such as two-week annual trainings in the reserve forces may qualify for service credit. This additional service credit will be used in determining your eligibility for retirement and calculating the amount of your benefit.

    We encourage anyone interested in purchasing prior active-duty military service to contact a MOSERS benefit counselor, who can provide cost estimates. The primary timing issue for you to consider when making a service purchase is that, the longer you wait, the more it will cost. In other words, it is often to your advantage, in terms of cost, to purchase service sooner rather than later to avoid additional interest costs. See the Purchasing and Transferring Service Credit brochure (MSEP &MSEP 2000) (page 6) for more information. Any eligible purchases must be applied for and paid for in full prior to applying for retirement.

    *Note: Members of the MSEP 2011 may get automatic credit if they were employed by the state immediately prior to entering the armed forces and return to state employment within the timeframe specified by USERRA. However, purchase of prior active-duty military service credit is not available to members of MSEP 2011.

    Print Friendly and PDF




We strive to provide the most accurate information possible in our answers to Rumor Central questions. However, occasionally, laws, policies or provisions change and individual circumstances may vary. Please contact a MOSERS benefit counselor or see the handbooks in our website Library for more detailed information. If there is any difference between the information provided in this blog or on the MOSERS website and the law or policies that govern MOSERS, the law and policies will prevail. See our Privacy, Security & Legal Notices for more information.