When and How to Submit Termination of Employment FormsDec 19, 2019, 8:42 AM By MOSERS
The Termination of Employment and Transfer of Employment forms can be completed electronically through the secure Employer Homepage under the Forms menu option.
Termination of Employment
A few reminders when submitting a Termination of Employment form:
- Be cautious of submitting a termination form too early (i.e., two months or earlier). Once the form has been submitted online, it automatically updates the employee’s records in our system and shows them as terminated. The employee then may no longer be able to generate benefit estimates using myMOSERS.
- An employee’s date of termination and payroll must agree. If an employee’s last day of work is on January 31, they should receive payroll for the full month of January.
- If an employee is terminating at the end of a month/pay period, and the pay period ends on a regularly scheduled day off, and assuming the employee will receive pay for the full pay period, please submit the termination date as the last day of the pay period.
- If you have an employee retiring directly from active employment, please submit the employee’s termination form no later than the first week of the month in which he/she is retiring. As a general rule, we must have all of the employee’s information entered in our system by the 9th of the month in which the employee is retiring.
- Do not put comments in the comments field unless absolutely needed. Comments interrupt the automatic processing and then require a benefit specialist to key the form manually.
Example: If an employee terminates, do not enter “resigned in good standing” in the comments field.
Transfer of Employment
If the employee has not missed an entire calendar month of payroll and is transferring employment from one state agency to another (in a MOSERS-covered benefit-eligible position), the hiring agency must complete the Transfer of Employment form. The previous employer must complete the Termination of Employment form.
The Transfer of Employment form eliminates any MOSERS-related paperwork for the employee (unless they wish to decrease optional term life insurance coverage or change their beneficiary information).
Exceptions for completing a transfer form:
- Employees returning to state employment who have missed an entire calendar month of payroll
- Employees transferring from the Department of Conservation, Highway Patrol, Department of Transportations, or a state college/university (except State Technical College of Missouri and Lincoln University), which are not covered by MOSERS' life insurance plan.
Employees meeting these exceptions must be entered into SEBES since they will be eligible for at least one new benefit type.
90-Day Wait on Refund of Employee ContributionsDec 18, 2019, 8:51 AM By MOSERS
Effective January 1, 2020, member requests for a refund of contributions will be processed no sooner than 90 days after the employee’s date of termination OR 90 days after the request is submitted, whichever is later. Please keep this in mind when speaking with MSEP 2011 members who are ending employment.
Life Insurance Coverage for Disabled Adult ChildrenNov 18, 2019, 9:04 AM By MOSERS
The Standard Insurance Company has reviewed our life insurance contract and has determined that members can enroll their adult disabled children (older than age 26) in life insurance coverage at any time while actively employed. To enroll, go to myMOSERS and select the Enroll/Change Optional Life Insurance form. Note that at the time of claim, The Standard will require you to provide proof that the child is disabled and dependent on you, the member.
Retire Online!Nov 18, 2019, 9:04 AM By MOSERS
In FY19, 73% of retirees retired online! The easiest and most convenient way to apply for retirement is online. Employees can complete both steps in the two-step retirement process all at once or leave and come back later to finish. Visit our Ready to Retire page for more information about the retirement process. These resources will help you make informed decisions during the retirement process:
- Retire Online Video – A handy video on the process of retiring online
- Retirement Guide – Why and how to complete various forms
- Smart Start Checklist – A list of information you should have readily available when you apply for retirement
- Destination Retirement Checklist – Checklist of other benefit providers to contact and tasks to complete
- Benefit Providers Chart – Verify which organization provides your retirement, employee assistance, and life, long-term disability, medical, dental and vision insurance.
2020 SEBES Brochure will be Available in JanuaryNov 18, 2019, 9:02 AM By MOSERS
Each December, we update the 8-page SEBES Brochure for the upcoming calendar year. Remember that you can order copies from the Order Materials page in the Employer section of our website. If you place any orders between now and the end of the year, please specify if you want the 2019 version or the 2020 version.
Annual Term Life Insurance Review & Open EnrollmentOct 17, 2019, 8:21 AM By MOSERS
We’re half away through the 2020 Annual Life Insurance Review and Special Open Enrollment period. So far, we’ve had 1,125 members who already had Optional Life Insurance increase their coverage and 325 members, who were not previously covered, enroll in Optional Life for the first time. We will be sending e-mails reminding our eligible members of this opportunity, which ends on October 31st. Please encourage your employees to take advantage of this special opportunity to help provide financial security to their loved ones if something happens to them. Don’t miss out!
Use the Right FormsOct 17, 2019, 8:19 AM By MOSERS
The purpose of the Notification of Change form is to notify MOSERS of any updates to a member’s demographic information, such as name, marital status, mailing address, email address, phone number, etc. Please do NOT report any service-related changes on the Notification of Change form.
You should report service-related changes, such as a termination or a leave of absence, on the appropriate service-related form. The fastest, most effective way to submit this information is through the Employer Login using the Transfer of Employment form, Termination of Employment form, Application to Correct Service, or the Leave/Back to Work form.
Your assistance will help ensure our members' records are accurate and they get the benefits they have earned.
See the Updated Materials article below for more information about finding and submitting forms.
2019 BU SummaryOct 17, 2019, 8:18 AM By MOSERS
We had 225 attendees at the 2019 Benefits U Conference! We streamlined the agenda and had 18 different speakers share their knowledge and expertise throughout the day. Thank you to everyone who was able to attend, to the speakers, moderators, and to all the staff who worked behind the scenes to make this year’s conference such a success! Special thanks to our keynote speaker, Coach Gary Pinkel, and the benefit providers who shared the day as well.
While we did receive some strong feedback regarding the venue and lunch, based on the overall feedback provided regarding content, more than 81% took away something helpful from the day and find Benefits U valuable to attend.
Comments from attendees:
- Very informative. I feel this is an excellent conference for HR representatives.
- Even though I have been working in Personnel for almost 30 years, I still learn things because there are always updates and changes. It is very beneficial in that regard and to keep current on our benefits.
- Very beneficial for changes and what is happening in the near future.
- It is so much easier to explain to our employees the benefits, and upcoming changes in benefits when we have heard it and learned it at the conference.
- It is always great to hear of the up and coming changes or plans. The professional development sessions are a great to rejuvenate excitement and motivation.
- I always enjoy coming to these events. They are very informative. It’s also nice to meet other HR staff.
- Good conference. Gary Pinkel did a great job. I feel our administration should hear him speak.
- I really enjoy the Benefits U Conferences, lots of great information is gained/shared. I thought it was great getting to hear Gary Pinkel speak. Best keynote speaker ever in my opinion.
We will hold the next Benefits U Conference in 2021 and will provide updates through HR Updates…stay tuned!
You’ve Got Mail – Coming soonOct 17, 2019, 8:13 AM By MOSERS
We will soon be sending you some posters:
- 2020 Ready to Retire − PreRetirement Planning Seminars for MSEP/MSEP 2000 Members who are within 5 Years of Retirement Eligibility
- 2020 Ready to Retire − PreRetirement Planning for MSEP 2011 Members who are within 5 Years of Retirement Eligibility, which includes in-person seminars and online webinars
PLEASE make sure that we have good contact information for your agency and that your mailing address is up to date with us. If you have any doubt, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know to send posters to you.
Once you get them, please post and encourage eligible employees to sign up early. Thanks!
Please Note: Seminars for the remainder of the year are full. Encourage employees to let us know if they or their guest are registered to attend but can’t make it! Doing so allows us to offer a seat to people on the waiting list.
Word on the Street - State TaxesOct 16, 2019, 2:35 PM By MOSERS
True or False – When you retire, your MOSERS pension benefits may be exempt from state taxes?
True! The total public pension exemption is limited to the maximum Social Security benefit of each spouse. In order to be eligible for the full deduction, your Missouri adjusted gross income must fall within certain income limitations. If your income exceeds the limitation, you may qualify for a partial exemption.
- Up to $85,000 - Single, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widow(er)
- Up to $100,000 -Married, filing jointly
- Up to $85 - Married, filing separately
For more information about taxes, please contact the Missouri Department of Revenue or go to: www.dor.mo.gov/personal/ptc/pension.php.
Annual Benefit Statement
Separation of Service