Hearing Rumors? Not sure your co-worker has it right?

Rumor Central has the answers! Submit your question or just browse our blog to separate facts from fiction.

Subscribe to Rumor Central

Subscribe to receive a monthly email that includes answers to recent Rumor Central questions.

Log in to myMOSERS. Click on Personal Information, then on Email Options. Check the box next to Rumor Central

  • Transferring Credited Service from MPERS to MOSERS

    Jun 7, 2021, 8:00 AM By MOSERS
    So my husband currently work at MoDot but is thinking about applying for MDOC. Would his retirement, time of service, and 80 and out still apply if he came to work for DOC. He is currently on MPERS. Thank you.

    Yes, he can transfer his credited service with MPERS to MOSERS. If he is a vested member of MSEP or MSEP 2000, the Rule of 80 (“80 and Out”) will still apply for normal retirement eligibility.

    To apply for the transfer of service, if he is a vested member of MSEP, MSEP 2000 or MSEP 2011, once he is hired by the Department of Corrections, he must simply notify MOSERS in writing. He should include his name, Social Security number, and his dates of service under MPERS. We will verify his previous service with MPERS. MPERS will send MOSERS the equivalent amount of employer (state) contributions made for this service. We will send him a notice confirming the transfer when the process is complete. This is a free transfer of service; there is no cost to the member.

    If he is not vested, he can transfer his service after one complete year of service under MOSERS. Also, for members of MSEP 2011, the retirement eligibility requirements are different.

    If he is looking at other options, you can review the complete list of MOSERS covered Employers on our website. See our Purchasing and Transferring Service Guide for MSEP (Closed Plan) Members or Purchasing and Transferring Service Guide for MSEP 2000 Member for additional service transfer and purchase options.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Medical Insurance

    Jun 3, 2021, 3:40 PM By MOSERS
    i am looking for health insurance help. who do i contact

    You will need to contact your medical insurance provider for help with health insurance-related inquires. For most state employees, that is Missouri Consolidated Health Care Plan (MCHCP).

    If you are employed at a college, university, or the Department of Conservation, contact your human resources/employee benefits office.

    If you are unsure, see our Benefits Providers Table to determine who administers your benefits. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Early Retirement

    May 27, 2021, 11:14 AM By MOSERS

    I am just curious if I wanted to retire early are you offering anyone an early out. Just wondering here that is all. I can retire in March of 2022, so it will be here before you know it if I elect to go that route, I may have to do a backdrop. Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

    Early retirement is an existing option available to most MOSERS members (but not available to legislators or statewide elected officials). As a general state employee, if you elect early retirement, your base benefit will be reduced by one-half of one percent (.005) for each month your age at retirement is younger than your normal retirement age.

    We are not aware of any proposed early retirement incentives for state employees. Any such incentive would require legislative authorization. There were no early retirement incentives that passed during the recent regular legislative session that ended on May 14, 2021. Anytime the Missouri General Assembly is in session, you can follow any bills affecting MOSERS on our Legislation page.

    View Pension Plans on our website for more information including details on normal (unreduced) and early (reduced) retirement eligibility for MSEPMSEP 2000, and MSEP 2011

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Accelerated Benefit

    May 26, 2021, 3:29 PM By MOSERS
    I was wondering if it’s possible to borrow against a life insurance policy and if so how? Thank you. 

    Your life insurance through MOSERS is term-life insurance, which means it has no cash value and you cannot borrow against it. However, if you are terminally ill with a life expectancy of less than 12 months, you may be eligible to receive a portion of your life insurance benefit (Accelerated Benefits) prior to your death, provided you meet certain conditions. For more information, please see the Life Insurance page on our website and the Accelerated Benefit Instructions

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Purchasing Military Service

    May 17, 2021, 2:26 PM By MOSERS
    I would like to buy military time and I would like the forms can you help me. Thank you

    As a member of MSEP or MSEP 2000, you may purchase up to four years of active-duty military service credit for service performed prior to last becoming a member of MOSERS. This may include active-duty military training. If you are eligible, please submit the Application to Purchase Active-Duty Military Service. View our Purchasing and Transferring Service Guide for MSEP (Closed Plan) Members or Purchasing and Transferring Service Guide for MSEP 2000 Members for more information. Any purchase of service must be completed prior to when you apply for retirement.

    If you have money in your MO Deferred Comp account, as a member of MSEP or MSEP 2000, you can use those funds to purchase prior military service (exception: Roth 457 assets cannot be used to purchase service credit). If you have additional questions about purchasing service,  contact a MOSERS benefit counselor. If you have questions about accessing your funds, contact MO Deferred Comp.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Final Average Pay with a Second Job Appointment

    May 14, 2021, 8:22 AM By MOSERS
    Some of our employees are working a second job direct care appointment with our facility in addition to their regular direct care appointment. As this is different from earning overtime that becomes comp time, their earnings are shown on their normal payroll as income earned. How will this benefit our employees working these second job appointments on their Final Average Pay (FAP) to calculate their pension benefits?

    Pension benefits are calculated using a formula, which is: Final Average Pay (FAP) x a Multiplier* x Credited Service = Monthly Base Benefit

    The additional earnings for working in a second job may increase their final average pay. Statutorily required employer and employee contributions must be paid to the System on any such compensation. See MOSERS Board Rule 2-8 for details. 

    However, state law says an employee can earn only one day of service credit for each day worked so it would not increase their credited service in terms of retirement eligibility or for calculating their benefit amount.

    Below is a simplified example showing how working in an additional position could potentially impact an employee’s benefit. Employees should contact a MOSERS benefit counselor to get an estimate for their particular situation:

    Working in one full-time position making $28,307 per year and retiring in MSEP 2000 with 25 years of service:

    $28,307/12 months = $2,358.92 as monthly final average pay

    FAP ($2,358.92) x Multiplier (0.017) x Credited Service (25) = $1,002.54 monthly base benefit in retirement

    Working in one full-time position making $28,307 per year and retiring in MSEP 2000 with 25 years of service plus working in a part-time position at the same rate of pay (an extra 1,000 hours at $13.61 per hour per = $13,610 per year for 3 years):

    $41,917/12 months = $3,493.08 as monthly final average pay

    FAP ($3,493.08) x Multiplier (0.017) x Credited Service (25) = $1,484.56 monthly base benefit in retirement

    *The multiplier for MSEP is 1.6%; the multiplier for MSEP 2000 and MSEP 2011 is 1.7%. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Refund of Employee Contributions

    May 14, 2021, 8:22 AM By MOSERS
    I have worked part time for a few years and will be soon leaving. Do I get the money I’ve put into mosers back?

    If you leave state employment prior to becoming eligible for normal retirement, you may request a refund of your employee contributions plus any credited interest. By law, there is a 90-day waiting period before we can issue a refund. By taking a refund, your forfeit all your credited service. Or, you may leave your contributions with the System if you think you might return to work for the state at some point in the future and would like for those years of service to count toward an eventual retirement benefit. See our Employee Contributions brochure for more information.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Accessing Funds Prior to Retirement

    May 11, 2021, 8:13 AM By MOSERS
    if needed could I pull funds out for down payment assistance?

    You are not able to access your MOSERS defined benefit pension until retirement. However, if you no longer work in a MOSERS benefit-eligible position, and you are a member of MSEP 2011, you may be eligible to request a refund of your employee contributions. By taking a refund, you will lose all your credited service and future rights to receive pension and LTD benefits from MOSERS. By law, there is a 90-day waiting period before we can issue a refund.

    The MO Deferred Comp 457 retirement savings plan permits in-service withdrawals from your account under the following circumstances; you experience a qualifying, unforeseeable emergency that causes extreme financial hardship, or if your account balance is $5,000 or less – you may elect a one-time, in-service distribution, provided you have not made a contribution during the prior two-year period. Please visit for more information or if you have any questions please call (800) 392-0925. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • BackDROP Lump-Sum Payment Explained

    Apr 28, 2021, 4:08 PM By MOSERS
    I am planning to retire in 2024 and at that time, I would receive my full backdrop. I need a better understanding of the "backdrop". After retiring, can I draw from my back drop as needed or is there a set amount of money that I will get monthly? 

    With BackDROP, you will get a lump-sum payment at retirement in addition to your monthly pension payments from MOSERS. Choosing BackDROP will, most likely, reduce the amount of your ongoing monthly benefit payments. We will provide you with Benefit Estimates at the time of retirement to show your BackDROP options and the impact of taking BackDROP on your monthly benefit payments. You can get estimates at any time by logging in to myMOSERS or by contacting a MOSERS benefit counselor.

    At retirement, we will ask you if you want to elect BackDROP or not and, if so, how you want to take your BackDROP lump-sum payment. Your choices are to take it as a cash payment, as a direct rollover to an individual retirement account or eligible employer plan such as MO Deferred Comp, or as a combination of cash and rollover

    Along with your first monthly pension benefit payment, we will issue your BackDROP payment (as either cash, rollover, or a combination) on the last working day of the month in which you retire.

    Your question about how much you can draw from your BackDROP is really about taxes and possible IRS penalties.

    • Cash Option: This is either one lump-sum payment at retirement or three annual installments. From any amounts paid in cash, we will deduct 20% for federal income tax (as required by the IRS) and any Missouri state income tax withholding you choose. You will be responsible for any IRS early withdrawal penalties that may apply.
    • Rollover Option: We will send your tax-deferred distribution directly to a qualified employer plan. See the MO Deferred Comp flyer, Thinking About the BackDROP?, for more information.
    • Combination Cash & Rollover Option: You can take a portion of the lump sum in cash (less 20% for federal income tax, as required by the IRS, and any Missouri state income tax you choose to have withheld) and roll the rest over to a qualified employer plan. You will be responsible for any IRS early withdrawal penalties that may apply.  

    Visit the BackDROP page on our website for additional information.

    Note: BackDROP is available only to general state employees in MSEP and MSEP 2000 who work at least two years beyond normal retirement eligibility.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Overtime Pay and Your Pension Benefit

    Apr 27, 2021, 1:37 PM By MOSERS
    Is overtime included when figuring for an employee's retirement, or is their regular salary for the highest 36 consecutive months used in the calculation?

    Yes, overtime can increase a member’s pension benefits.

    Retirement benefits for general state employees are calculated using a three-part formula: Final Average Pay (FAP)  x credited service  x  a multiplier =  Monthly Base Benefit

    To calculate your pension benefit, we will use your highest 36 full consecutive months of pay – wherever that occurs in your individual pay history

    In identifying your “high 36” months, overtime pay is included in the pay period for which it was earned. 

    The multiplier for general state employees in MSEP is 1.6%; it is 1.7% for general state employees in MSEP 2000 and MSEP 2011.

    Print Friendly and PDF




We strive to provide the most accurate information possible in our answers to Rumor Central questions. However, occasionally, laws, policies or provisions change and individual circumstances may vary. Please contact a MOSERS benefit counselor or see the handbooks in our website Library for more detailed information. If there is any difference between the information provided in this blog or on the MOSERS website and the law or policies that govern MOSERS, the law and policies will prevail. See our Privacy, Security & Legal Notices for more information.