Hearing Rumors? Not sure your co-worker has it right?

Rumor Central has the answers! Submit your question or just browse our blog to separate facts from fiction.

Subscribe to Rumor Central

Subscribe to receive a monthly email that includes answers to recent Rumor Central questions.

Log in to myMOSERS. Click on Personal Information, then on Email Options. Check the box next to Rumor Central

  • How to make changes to your optional life insurance

    Jul 16, 2021, 3:32 PM By MOSERS
    Where can I find the application to submit for optional Life Insurance coverage for myself.?

    You can find it online by logging into myMOSERS. After logging in, click Forms, select Enroll/Chg Opt Life Ins and then submit your information from there. Or, you can contact a benefit counselor and ask them to mail you an application. If you would like more information on optional life coverage, please see our Life Insurance page. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Early vs. Normal Retirement

    Jul 9, 2021, 11:20 AM By MOSERS
    I am a member of MSEP 20011. I am currently 60 years old with 9 years of service time. If I leave state employment this year at what age would I be able to start my pension payments? 62? 65? or 67?

    If you leave state employment this year at age 60 years, 9 months, you will be required to wait and draw your benefit at age 67.  In order to be eligible for early retirement, you must reach age 62 prior to leaving state employment. Please note that taking early retirement will reduce your base benefit by ½ of 1% (.005) for each month your age is younger than normal retirement age. Your normal retirement age would be at 67. You can find more information in the MSEP 2011 Handbook.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Returning to state employment under the same plan

    Jul 7, 2021, 10:47 AM By MOSERS

    Confidentially, please provide the outcome for these scenarios:
    An employee started in 2002, MSEP 2000, left in 2021, returned in 2023.  Would they be able to return to the MSEP 2000 plan or would they have to go to the MSEP 2011 plan?  80 and out or 90 and out? 0 or 4% withheld?

    Previously, under MSEP 2000, 80 and out, retire at 52 with 28 years of service. But let's say they don't return to state work, they have 19 years of service, when is there new normal retirement date, born 1977, 62?

    In the scenario you describe, the answer is yes, a vested member of MSEP 2000 who leaves state employment and returns to state employment will still be in MSEP 2000. Their prior service would immediately be reinstated upon reemployment. They would be eligible for normal retirement under the Rule of 80/”80 and Out” or age 62, whichever came first. As a member of MSEP 2000, they would not be required to make the 4% employee contributions.  

    In the scenario you describe, if the employee did not return to work, they would be considered an inactive vested member of MSEP 2000 and would become eligible for normal retirement at age 62.

    Note: If an inactive vested member of MSEP or MSEP 2000 elected a buyout in 2017 or 2018 then returned to state employment, they would be a member of MSEP 2011, would be required to make the 4% employee contributions and would have to meet the retirement eligibility for MSEP 2011.

    We encourage members to contact a MOSERS benefit counselor to discuss their individual situation and learn how various scenarios would impact their benefits. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Unsubscribing from Rumor Central

    Jun 21, 2021, 4:25 PM By MOSERS
    I would like to unsubscribe from the Rumor Central emails because I am no longer a state employee.

    If you would like to unsubscribe from this list, log in to myMOSERS and change your email preferences. After logging in, select Personal Information then Email Options. From there you can opt out of receiving Rumor Central Updates. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • A Breakdown of BackDROP

    Jun 21, 2021, 4:15 PM By MOSERS
     I have never understood what "back drop" means. I do not think it was ever explained to me at the time of retirement.

    In order to be eligible for the BackDROP, a member must work at least 2 years past their first normal retirement date. The "DROP" in BackDROP stands for Deferred Retirement Option Provision. With BackDROP, eligible members can get a one-time lump-sum payment in addition to their monthly pension payments from MOSERS. Members can make the choice to take BackDROP on their Retirement Election form.

    The BackDROP period is the period of time between a member’s BackDROP date (the day their BackDROP period begins) and their actual retirement date. The maximum BackDROP period is five years. The lump-sum payment is equal to 90% of the pension benefits (based on the Life Income Annuity option) that the member would have received during the BackDROP period had they been retired. Choosing BackDROP will, most likely, reduce the amount of their monthly benefit. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email Options

    Jun 21, 2021, 8:24 AM By MOSERS
    My wife and I each receive a copy of "Retiree NEWS". We would appreciate receiving only one copy at this address. Thank you. 

    This is something we are working on improving with our new pension administration system. Currently, in order to only receive one copy per household, one of you will need to opt in to receive all notices electronically. (Note: Doing so will result in that person receiving nearly all of their correspondence from MOSERS online – not just RetireeNews.) Start by logging in to myMOSERS, selecting Personal Information then Email Options. From there you can opt in to electronic notices. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Where to Find Annual Benefit Statements

    Jun 17, 2021, 9:52 AM By MOSERS
    Hello. How can I access a copy of my annual benefit statement? Thanks.

    Annual Benefit Statements for active members are available online. You can access your statement by logging in to myMOSERS, clicking on Online Documents then on Document Express. You can then download and save it or print it. If you have opted to receive your correspondence from MOSERS through the mail, we mail your statement to your home address each year in March.  

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Accessing Funds Prior to Retirement

    Jun 15, 2021, 2:29 PM By MOSERS
    Are we able to redeem any of our MOSERS investments and (somehow), pay it back into the system?
    You are not able to access your MOSERS defined benefit pension until retirement. However, if you no longer work in a MOSERS benefit-eligible position, and you are a member of MSEP 2011, you may be eligible to request a refund of your employee contributions. Please see our Employee Contributions brochure for more information. 

    If you are still employed with the state, you are not able to access your MO Deferred Comp 457 retirement savings except for emergency withdrawals. MO Deferred Comp permits in-service withdrawals from your account under the following circumstances: you experience a qualifying, unforeseeable emergency that causes extreme financial hardship or if your account balance is $5,000 or less, you may elect a one-time, in-service distribution provided you have not made a contribution during the prior two-year period. Once you leave state employment, you can withdraw your 457 savings penalty-free. Visit or call (800) 392-0925 for more information. 
    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Last Day of Work Prior to Retirement?

    Jun 9, 2021, 1:58 PM By MOSERS
    I have been told that as a state employee you are required to show up on your last day of employment prior to retirement. Example if my retirement date was July 1, I would have to come in on June 30th. You did not have to work an 8 hour day but had to be there for at least one hour. Is this correct?

    MOSERS has no authority over the policies and procedures of an agency in determining onsite requirements when an employee is ending their service. Therefore, we encourage you to talk with your HR staff and/or your supervisor in advance of your retirement to find out about the policies and procedures at your agency.

    Your last day of work as a MOSERS benefit-eligible employee, as reported by your employer, must be at least one day prior to your retirement date with MOSERS. Your retirement date with MOSERS must be on the first day of a month.

    If you haven’t already, we encourage you to sign up for a Ready to Retire seminar or webinar, see the Ready to Retire page of our website and contact a MOSERS benefit counselor for more information. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Survivor Benefits and Remarrying

    Jun 7, 2021, 9:44 AM By MOSERS
    I am receiving survivor benefits from my husband who died in 2009. I am considering remarrying. If I do, will I continue to receive the monthly benefit?

    Yes, since your spouse elected a survivor benefit for you at retirement, you will continue to receive your survivor benefits each month for your life, even if you remarry.

    Please update your personal information with us if your name, address or bank information changes. You can do so by contacting us and our benefit staff will assist you. Also, please be sure to review and update, if necessary, who you have designated to receive your final survivor benefit payment. Your final benefit payment is paid on the last working day of the month in which you die.

    Print Friendly and PDF




We strive to provide the most accurate information possible in our answers to Rumor Central questions. However, occasionally, laws, policies or provisions change and individual circumstances may vary. Please contact a MOSERS benefit counselor or see the handbooks in our website Library for more detailed information. If there is any difference between the information provided in this blog or on the MOSERS website and the law or policies that govern MOSERS, the law and policies will prevail. See our Privacy, Security & Legal Notices for more information.