Changing Jobs

Most state agencies and regional colleges & universities are MOSERS Covered Employers. This means you have many opportunities to become (or remain) a member of MOSERS if you plan to change jobs within the state.

If you transfer from one MOSERS-covered position to another, your employer will notify us. All you need to do is log in to myMOSERS and update your email address and any other personal information.

If you are considering taking a job outside of state government, see Leaving State Employment.

Effect on Your MOSERS Benefits

Pension – Vested Members

  • Once vested, you are eligible for a lifetime pension benefit when you also meet the retirement age requirement for your plan. If you transfer to another MOSERS-covered position, your credited service will continue to build and your pension will be there when you are Ready to Retire.
  • If you are an MSEP 2011 or Judicial Plan 2011 member, your employee contributions will earn interest as long as you are actively employed, even if you transfer from one MOSERS-covered position to another.

Life Insurance & Long-Term Disability (LTD) Insurance Benefits

  • If you transfer from one MOSERS-covered employer to another and you already have MOSERS life insurance, you do not need to do anything. You may log in to myMOSERS to decrease your optional life insurance coverage or change your beneficiary information at any time.
  • A transfer does not allow you to increase your optional term life insurance without proving insurability.
  • Employees of most state departments qualify for life insurance and long-term disability insurance through MOSERS, with the exception of:
    • Employees of the Department of Conservation can get life insurance through their employer.
    • Employees of most regional universities can get life insurance and LTD insurance through their employer.

Check the Benefit Providers table and contact your employer for details.

Sick Leave & Annual Leave

  • Some employers under MOSERS will accept sick leave and annual leave transfers to and from other state agencies if you transfer jobs. Some will not.  Ask your employer.
  • Sick leave and annual leave policies for colleges and universities may be different than those of other state agencies. Check with your employer if you are transferring to or from a college or university.

Transferring Prior Service Credit

  • You will continue to earn service credit if you transfer to another MOSERS or MPERS benefit-eligible position.
  • You may be eligible to transfer certain types of nonfederal public service with a city, county or public school in Missouri and combine it with your MOSERS service. See the brochure below and contact a benefit counselor if you think you may have eligible prior service.

Purchasing and Transferring Service Guide for MSEP (Closed Plan) Members

Purchasing and Transferring Service Guide for MSEP 2000 Members

Purchasing and Transferring Service Guide for MSEP 2011 Members