Reporting the Death of a Spouse
Steps survivors should take following the death of a member
We understand this can be a difficult topic for our members and their loved ones, however, knowing what steps to take as a survivor is important for you and your beneficiaries. We encourage you to learn more and to contact us with any concerns or questions. Below is a simple overview of the initial steps to take for a survivor in the event of the death of one of our members. Please see the Death page for more information.
The first steps survivors should take when a member dies are:
- Contact us as soon as possible when anyone receiving (or eligible for) a MOSERS benefit dies.
- MOSERS will send you a letter explaining any benefits available to you. If a retiree dies, the benefit payment option they elected at retirement will determine if we pay survivor benefits.
- Apply for benefits. You must complete and return the forms we send to you. We can’t pay benefits to survivors and beneficiaries without the required documents.
- If requested, submit a photocopy of the death certificate and an acceptable proof-of-age-andlawful presence document.
- If you want to have insurance proceeds pay funeral expenses, send us the assignment paperwork and an itemized statement of expenses from the funeral home.
- Remember to contact MO Deferred Comp and other benefit providers such as MCHCP, and Social Security, if applicable.
If you are a retired member, elected a joint & survivor payment
option, and your spouse dies first, you may be eligible
to a pop-up of your monthly pension benefit. Please
note, pop-ups are not automatic, you must provide
MOSERS with a photocopy of your spouse’s death
certificate before your benefit will be adjusted. The
effective date of the pop-up will be the first of the
month following your spouse’s date of death.
How to contact us
Benefit counselors are a valuable source for information regarding your benefits and are available to assist you on weekdays: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm.
(800) 827-1063 toll-free
(573) 632-6100 in Jefferson City
(573) 632-6103 fax