1099-R Tax Forms are Now Available

Jan 29, 2024, 15:43 PM

We began mailing paper copies of 1099-R forms on January 23 and will mail all of them by January 31.

Log in to myMOSERS to access your 1099-R online.

You will need this important form to file your taxes and will receive a 1099-R for 2023 if you were a:

  • Member who received retirement benefits
  • Survivor or beneficiary who received monthly benefit payments
  • Survivor or beneficiary who received a final benefit payment
  • Ex-spouse who received a monthly benefit
  • Former state employee who elected a refund of your employee contributions to MOSERS

Check out the Understanding Your 1099-R Form infographic for more information.

Get it Faster

For immediate access to your 1099-R or if you need a replacement copy of it, log in to myMOSERS. You will find your 1099-R listed under Personal Information and available for you to view or print.

MOSERS does not send W-2 Forms for wages earned as an active state employee — those will come from your employer.

Federal Tax Withholding

Your retirement benefits are subject to federal income tax. You may change your withholding election at any time during the year by completing the Tax Withholding Authorization and IRS W-4P forms. The amount of withholdings you elect does not change your tax liability.

MOSERS staff does not provide tax advice and cannot advise you on how to fill out tax forms or your tax liability as it pertains to your MOSERS pension. We suggest you contact the IRS and/or a qualified tax advisor to determine your tax liability and withholding amounts.

Public Pension Exemption

If you are receiving a benefit from a public pension system (such as MOSERS), and file a Missouri state tax return, you may qualify for the Public Pension Exemption. If you qualify, you may be exempt from paying some or all Missouri state income tax on income you receive from MOSERS. Visit the Missouri Department of Revenue's Public Pension Exemption page or read our Missouri Public Pension Exemption flyer for more information.

If you are unsure if you qualify, contact the Missouri Department of Revenue or ask your tax professional.

Back to News

News Archive