Hearing Rumors? Not sure your co-worker has it right?

Rumor Central has the answers! Submit your question or just browse our blog to separate facts from fiction.

Subscribe to Rumor Central

Subscribe to receive a monthly email that includes answers to recent Rumor Central questions.

Log in to myMOSERS. Click on Personal Information, then on Email Options. Check the box next to Rumor Central

Tax Information for Retirees

Jan 28, 2019, 14:26 PM by MOSERS

If you are receiving a retirement check from the state of Missouri are you required to claim it on your state tax income tax return as income?

Yes, you are required to claim your MOSERS benefits on your state taxes if you are a Missouri resident. (If you are not a Missouri resident, contact your state department of revenue or a qualified tax advisor for the answer to this question.) Below is some additional information that MOSERS retirees often need when filing their taxes:

  1. MOSERS is a public defined benefit (DB) pension plan and the benefit you receive through MOSERS is considered a “public pension”.
  2. MOSERS withholds state taxes only for Missouri residents.
  3. As long as you reside in Missouri, your retirement benefits are subject to Missouri state income tax and federal tax. However, you may qualify for the Missouri state tax Public Pension Exemption on your Missouri state tax return.
  4. We have mailed 1099-R tax forms to all retirees/benefit recipients.
Print Friendly and PDF




We strive to provide the most accurate information possible in our answers to Rumor Central questions. However, occasionally, laws, policies or provisions change and individual circumstances may vary. Please contact a MOSERS benefit counselor or see the handbooks in our website Library for more detailed information. If there is any difference between the information provided in this blog or on the MOSERS website and the law or policies that govern MOSERS, the law and policies will prevail. See our Privacy, Security & Legal Notices for more information.