Unused Annual & Sick Leave
Jul 15, 2020, 11:06 AM
We understand that there is often confusion regarding unused leave upon retirement. We have provided some clear facts below to help clear up this common concern.
Unused Annual Leave:
Did you know?
- The amount of your unused annual leave/vacation has no impact on your MOSERS pension benefits.
- Your employer should pay you for at least some of your unused annual leave. The amount of annual leave that you may get paid for is determined by your agency or university, not by MOSERS.
- Your agency or university may have a limit on how much they will payout. Limits may vary from one agency or university to another. Check your employee policies for details well in advance of your retirement date.
Unused Sick Leave:
Did you know?
- Your monthly pension benefit from MOSERS will be based on your final average pay and your credited service. This can include unused sick leave.
- Each block of 168 hours of unused sick leave is converted into one month of service credit to be used in your pension benefit calculation. (There is no partial credit; any amount less than 168 hours will be equal to zero additional months of credited service.)
- Unused sick leave does not count as service in determining retirement eligibility but it can increase your benefit amount once you have become eligible for retirement.
- If you use sick leave near your retirement date, it may affect previous benefit estimates you have received.
- If you are eligible for BackDROP and elect to take it, you will receive credit for unused sick leave accrued during your BackDROP period.