1099-Rs Have Been Mailed

Jan 27, 2023, 10:31 AM

You will need this important form to file your taxes and we have sent it to you if, in 2022, you were a:

  • Member who received retirement benefits
  • Survivor or beneficiary who received monthly benefit payments
  • Survivor or beneficiary who received a final benefit payment
  • Ex-spouse who received a monthly benefit
  • Former state employee who elected a refund of your employee contributions to MOSERS

Please note that MOSERS does not send W-2 Forms for wages earned as an active state employee - those come from your employer.

Check out the Understanding Your 1099-R Form infographic for more information.

Federal Tax Withholding

Your retirement benefits are also subject to federal income tax. Complete the Tax Withholding Authorization and IRS W-4P forms to allow MOSERS to withhold taxes on your behalf, or to decline any withholding. If you do not choose a federal tax withholding option, we are required to withhold federal taxes as if you elected a “single” filing status.

MOSERS staff cannot advise you on how to fill out tax forms or your tax liability as it pertains to your MOSERS pension. We suggest you contact the IRS and/or a qualified tax advisor about your tax liability and to determine your withholding amounts.

You may change your withholding election at any time during the year by completing the Tax Withholding Authorization and IRS W-4P forms. The amount of withholdings you elect does not change your tax liability.

Public Pension Exemption

If you are a Missouri resident, you may qualify for the Public Pension Exemption. Visit the Missouri Department of Revenue's Public Pension Exemption page or read our Missouri Public Pension Exemption flyer for more information.

In order to be eligible for the full deduction, your Missouri adjusted gross income must fall within certain income limitations. If your income exceeds the limitation, you may qualify for a partial exemption.

Contact the Missouri Department of Revenue to see if you qualify or ask your tax professional.

Get it Faster

For immediate access to your 1099-R or if you find you need a replacement copy of it, log in to myMOSERS. You will find your 1099-R under Personal Information and available for you to print.

Back to News

News Archive