Steps survivors should take following the death of a member
We understand that this can be a difficult topic to discuss for our members and their loved ones, however, knowing what steps to take as a survivor is important for you and your beneficiaries. We encourage you to learn more and to contact us with any concerns or questions. Below is a simple overview of the initial steps to take for a survivor in the event of the death of one of our members. Please see the Death page on our website for more information.
The first steps survivors should take when a member dies are:
- Contact us as soon as possible when anyone receiving (or eligible for) a MOSERS benefit dies.
- MOSERS will send you a letter explaining any benefits available to you.
- Apply. You must complete and return the forms we send to you. We can’t pay benefits to survivors and beneficiaries without the required documents.
- Submit the death certificate and an acceptable proof-of-age-and-lawful presence document.
- If you want to have insurance proceeds pay funeral expenses, send us the assignment paperwork and an itemized statement of expenses from the funeral home.
- Contact our MO Deferred Comp staff and other benefit providers such as MCHCP, and Social Security.
If you are retired, elected a joint & survivor payment option, and your spouse dies first, you may be eligible for a pop-up of your monthly pension benefit. If a retiree dies, the benefit payment option they elected at retirement will determine if we pay survivor benefits.